Makes 6 portions
- 300g dark chocolate
- 200g salted butter
- 2 whole eggs
- 4 egg yolks
- 60g sugar
- Whisk together the egg yolks, whole eggs and sugar, this is best done with either a food mixer or an electric whisk, whisk for a good 10 mins or until the mixture is pale and fluffy.
- When the egg mixture is ready gently melt together the chocolate and butter in a metal or Pyrex bowl over a pan of gently simmering water, the key to success with this recipe is to not overheat this mixture, as soon as the chocolate and butter have melted and combined then pour the chocolate mixture into the whisked egg mixture and gently fold together.
- Pour the mixture into 6 large ramekins, you can either cook these straight away or place them into a fridge until needed, the cooking time is altered depending on whether you refrigerate the mousse or not.
- To cook, have your oven pre-heated to 180c. Bake for 6 minutes if the mixture is not chilled or for 9 minutes if you have chilled the mousse.
- Take out of the oven and place a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top, best to serve and eat straight away to get a lovely soft melting middle.